Some examples include:
- Mobility vehicles: leveraging electronic credentials for shared vehicles (car sharing, rental vehicles, e-scooters, etc.) to ensure only authorized, paying customers have access, and at the right time.
- Industrial machines: production equipment, forklifts, robots, containers etc. which must only be operated by authorized personnel.
- Shared IT equipment: granting employees and visitors access to shared printers, computer terminals etc.
Traditionally, authorization to use all these things has been done via smartcards using RFID, better known as employee badge, hotel card key, etc. In recent times, however, the smartphone is replacing the smartcard due to several reasons:
- Everyone has a smartphone, so an additional card that can be easily forgotten or lost is not necessary (not many people forget to take their smartphone with them!).
- Smartphones support biometric identification such as facial recognition which adds a layer of security not natively supported by smartcards.
- Smartphones can host complementary applications that add value to the to service provider’s offering – for example a smartphone hotel room key app can also push customer loyalty offerings directly to a guest’s smartphone display such as restaurant discounts and other special offers.
- Longer distance – thanks to Bluetooth® Low Energy, smartphones can be authenticated over distances up to 10 meters, vs. just a few centimeters for smartcards.
LEGIC Connect: secure contactless authentication via smartphone
LEGIC Connect, our most popular mobile service, is a software trusted service that provides instant, secure distribution of credentials or other sensitive data to authorized smartphones – anytime, anywhere and instantly at the touch of a button. It is a security enabler for any mobile service and fulfills current and future needs for security. By integrating LEGIC Connect into existing infrastructures, a smartphone can become anything – a door opener, train ticket, time & attendance tracker, city pass, car or hotel key, and much more.
Read the complete article about LEGIC Connect in Easy Engineering online.